A Guide to... Australian Skinks in Captivity
The book is littered with full colour images showing all aspects of sexing, housing, breeding and general appearance of the species within each chapter using over 500 images from some of Australia’s finest reptile photographers with most being unique to this book series.
- General Management. This chapter covers Stock Selection, Handling and Hygiene, Transportation, Purchase and Freight Etiquette, Legal Requirements, General Safety, Security and Quarantine.
- Housing. In this chapter topics such as Indoor Enclosures, Outdoor Enclosures, Hide Sites, Enclosure Enrichment, Heating, Lighting, Thermostats and Humidity are discussed.
- Feeding Methods and Nutrition. Invertebrate and Vertebrate Food Items, Artificial Diets, Culturing Insect Food Items, Dietary Supplements, Feeding Facilities and Feeding Problems are all dealt with in detail.
- Breeding is the next chapter and contains information on Sexing Techniques, Breeding Age, Courtship, Mating, Cooling, Strategies to Enhance Breeding Success, Reproduction, Nest Facilities, Egg Laying and Birthing, Artificial Incubation, Natural Incubation and Hatchling Care
- The final section in the Husbandry chapters is a comprehensive guide to common Diseases and Disorders of Dragons such as Nutritional, Parasitic, Skin, Nail, Eye, Respiratory, Traumatic, Reproductive and Oral Disorders. This is completed with a guide to Administration of Medications and Making the most of your Reptile Veterinarian.
Within each chapter, information is presented on Pronunciation, Descriptions, Sexing, Subspecies, Distribution, Habitat, Captive Status, Indoor and Outdoor Housing, Compatibility, Feeding, Breeding Methods, Incubation, Colour Variants and Hybrids.
The book is completed with chapters on Herpetological Societies, Websites, an extensive Bibliography and a Glossary of common reptile words and phrases.